ABOUT DR RICK WOLFE
Ophthalmologist, Advanced Cataract and Laser Eye Surgeon
MB BS, FRACS, FRANZCO
Dr Rick Wolfe is one of Australia’s most accomplished and experienced eye surgeons. He is internationally recognised and is regularly invited to speak and present his own statistics as well as conduct live surgery at world eye surgery conferences.
Following his medical education at Monash University, and medical and surgical residency in Melbourne hospitals, Dr Wolfe discovered a passion for surgery in ophthalmology. He undertook his specialty training at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital (RVEEH). Dr Wolfe became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) and a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO) in 1984.
As an Australian Defence Force Reservist of over 30 years and Lieutenant Commander (Ret.) of the Royal Australian Naval Reserve, Dr Wolfe understands the visual needs and concerns of our service men and women. In his role on the ADF Consultative Committee of Ophthalmology, he is a principal adviser to the ADF’s policy on laser eye surgery. Dr Wolfe provides laser eye surgery to ADF members in accordance with Health Services Bulletin 11/2002.
Dr Wolfe has been an ophthalmic surgeon for over 30 years, awarding him invaluable experience and achievements throughout his career:
- One of the first surgeons in Australia to perform laser eye surgery in 1991. Since then, he has personally performed over 23,000 laser eye procedures.
- In 1996, Dr Wolfe was the first surgeon in Victoria to perform the LASIK (laser-assisted in situ kerato
- Commenced phacoemulsification (the modern technique of cataract surgery) when it was almost unknown in Australia. He has taught many ophthalmologists this procedure in Australia and overseas. Today it is the procedure of choice in Australia.
- Performed the first corneal incisions and foldable intraocular implants in Australia. Today this is the most common method amongst advanced cataract surgeons. He has also lectured widely on this technique.
- Pioneered a technique called micro-incision cataract surgery which is today the standard of care.
- Founding member and director of the Melbourne Excimer Laser and Research Group.
Appointments and Memberships:
- Founder and Medical Director of Peninsula Eye Centre (Mornington) since 1986 and VISTAeyes Laser Eye Clinic (Elsternwick) since 1996
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)
- RANZCO – Chairman of the Visual Standards Committee
- RANZCO – Chairman of the Clinical Standards Committee
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
- Co-founder of the Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (AUSCRS)
- AUSCRS – Secretary and treasurer
- International Society of Refractive Surgeons (ISRS) – Member and former Councillor
- Australian Society of Ophthalmologists (ASO) – Member
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) – Member
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) – Member
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS) – Member
- Ophthalmic Advisor to the Australian Defence Force. He has over 30 years of service in the Royal Australian Naval Reserve and holds the rank of Lieutenant Commander (Ret.).